Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Review: The Amazing Spider-man

I went to see The Amazing Spider-man this morning.  I am a big fan of the original trilogy and hadn't really been looking forward to this one.  I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised!  This was a really good film.  It's much darker than the previous Spider-man movies, it reminds me of when Todd McFarlane did the comics back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Even though this movie covers the same basic ground as Spider-man (2002) it's a very different movie and definitely worth seeing.  Peter Parker is still picked on but he is a very different Parker in this than in the previous films.  This movie takes itself much more seriously for the most part.  The Lizard is a pretty decent bad guy (better than the cheesy Green Goblin, New Goblin and Venom anyway.  The visuals are, well, amazing.  This one is more aimed for 16 and up (because it's more mature, not because of bad language or anything of that nature) where as the old ones are more kid friendly. 

Where does this one rank among all of the Spider-man movies?  I still think Spider-man 2 is the best, followed by The Amazing Spider-man, Spider-man, and lastly Spider-man 3.  From other reviews I have seen, the largest complaint is that the movie didn't need to be made.  That could be true but I'm glad it was made.  It has a different feel from the previous movies so it's hard to even compare them.  It's like Comparing Tim Burton's Batman to Christopher Nolan's Batman.  Both are good but both are very different.  There is room for all of them to exist.

I give this film 3.5 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment